The IUPsyS works to promote "the development, representation and advancement of psychology as a basic and applied science nationally, regionally, and internationally" (Article 5, IUPsyS Statutes). It represents psychology in its full breadth as a science and as a profession.
The aims of the Union (Article 6, IUPsyS Statutes) are:
- To enhance and promote the development of the science and profession of psychology.
- To exchange ideas and scientific information between psychologists of different countries.
- To organize the International Congresses of Psychology and other meetings on subjects of general or special interest in psychology.
- To contribute to psychological knowledge through publishing activities.
- To foster the exchange of publications and other communications among different countries.
- To foster excellence in standards for education, training, research and the applications of psychology.
- To enable the development of psychological scientists and national associations through capacity building activities.
- To foster international exchange, especially among students and young researchers.
- To collaborate with other international, regional, and national organizations in matters of mutual interest.
Other, more specialized organizations, represent either particular fields of psychology or psychology in particular regions of the world; examples of such organizations are found in the list of organizations affiliated with IUPsyS.
The IUPsyS operates on the basis of a strategic plan.