Procedures for Admission of National member Organizations to the International Union of Psychological Science
The Union consists of National Member organizations, not more than one National Member coming from any one country. An organization may become a National Member of IUPsyS if it is a National Society of Psychology, regularly established, a coalition of National Societies, or, alternatively, a national Academy of Sciences, National Research Council, or similar organization. Admission occurs following these steps:
1. A formal petition for admission to the IUPsyS is sent to the Secretary-General of the Union by the appropriate official of the national organization of psychology. The letter requesting admission should be accompanied by the following information in English:
- A copy in English of the national organization's constitution, statutes, and by-laws;
- A list of current officers;
- A list of current members (if available) and a brief statement describing the general characteristics of the membership (their academic qualifications, occupations, representativeness of scientific psychology throughout the nation etc., stated in general terms).
- A brief statement on the history of the organization and some of its main past and current activities.
- Any additional information providing assurances that the organization is a truly national organization of scientific psychology, regularly established. (Where there is more than one such national organization in a country, a federation or association that includes all of them shall be eligible for national membership in the IUPsyS.).
2. After ascertaining that the above information is complete, the Secretary-General sends the petition and supporting documentation to the IUPsyS Executive Committee for review and approval. If recommended by the Executive Committee, the petition will then come before the IUPsyS Assembly for review.
3. The petition and accompanying information are distributed to all voting members of the IUPsyS Assembly for approval, either (i) by a simple majority if at least half the members are present and voting or (ii) by a two-thirds majority of votes by a mail ballot, provided at least half the members vote.
4. The Secretary-General notifies the national organization of psychology of its admission to the IUPsyS, effective upon receipt of annual dues. The Membership Category is determined according to a score calculated from country resources, number of psychologists, and development of psychology in the country. The dues are set in terms of a six-category system, as follows:
||National Members Score
||Annual dues (2014)
||0 to 199
||200 to 359
||360 to 599
||600 to 999
||1000 to 1299
||1300 and over
This current membership and dues system was adopted by the Assembly in 2010, and for existing members the dues changes are implemented in two instalments, the first in 2012.
An additional temporary category, Category O (Observer status), is permitted, involving no annual dues or voting rights. The expectation is that Members in the Observer Category will become regular dues-paying Members in a timely manner.
Admissions material should be sent to:
Ann Watts, Secretary-General, IUPsyS
Please copy all emails to the Executive Officer, Nick Hammond
Enquiries should be sent to the Executive Officer